Friday Night Eats!
Just because it’s a Friday night doesn’t mean you HAVE to go out to eat, right? While it’s nice to go out for a date night or to check out a new or favorite restaurant, I don’t always love how much I overeat when I go out. I still really wanted something tasty for dinner but didn’t want to feel overly guilty about it. This vegetarian, crockpot black bean enchiladas recipe jumped out at me and decided to make this “cheat meal” at home. Mexican food is my Achilles heel so I really couldn’t pass this one up!
Even though I’m trying to eat better overall, I still want to enjoy my favorites.I try to find healthier versions or ways I can make healthy substitutions in my favorite meals at home. I’m calling it a “cheat” because the recipe layers the healthy black bean filling (that you see in this picture) with tortilla chips, cheese, and salsa in the crockpot. I mean, you can’t have enchiladas without the good stuff, right?
While I used only half the amount of cheese it called for, I’m rereading the recipe now and realized I made this more of a cheat than I needed to! The recipe calls for 1 small bag of round tortillas. Somehow my brain processed that as 1 small bag of round tortilla chips.
Placing all the tiny round chips in layers in the crockpot and I remember thinking, “I’m surprised they classified this meal as ‘healthy'”. Haha! Yes, NOW regular corn tortillas make so much more sense!
So if you want more of a cheat meal, tortilla chips will work just fine, though it was probably a little messier than the original recipe, because theirs LOOKED like enchiladas instead of an undistinguished mess on the plate, like mine. Live and learn and enjoy Mexican food!
By the way, if you’re looking for a good seasoning to use for this recipe, check out the Enchilada Seasoning Mix I used!
- 1 bell pepper – chopped
- 1 small onion (or 1/2 large onion) – chopped
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 2 14.5oz cans black beans (reduced sodium)- rinsed and drained
- 1 14.5oz can diced tomatoes (I like fire roasted)
- 1 4oz can green chilies (leave out if you don’t like spicy food)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp southwest/Mexican/fajita seasoning blend (whatever you have)
- Pepper to taste
- 1 bag small round corn tortillas
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 1-1/2 bags (3 cups) of reduced fat Mexican shredded
- Olive Oil Spray Pam (or whatever non-stick spray you have)
- Optional Toppings: Greek yogurt and/or salsa
- Sauté the pepper and onion in the olive oil in the non-stick skillet until they are slightly tender. Sprinkle with half the salt and seasoning blend.
- Add the drained beans, can of tomatoes and green chilies. Let simmer for 10 minutes on low-medium heat. Add the rest of the salt and seasoning blend to your personal taste preference.
- Spray the Crock Pot with Pam
- Start your enchilada stack with the corn tortillas. Shape them to fit the bottom of your Crock Pot.
- Add 1/3 of the black bean mixture to the top of the tortillas.
- Layer 1/4 of the cheese on top of that.
- Add 2 more layers so you have a total of 3.
- Finish off the stack with a layer of tortillas, the salsa and the last of the cheese.
- Cook on low for 3-4 hours.